Lock in current rates to save on future tuition
"I want my kids to have more options for college."
A PLAN THAT MAKES PRIVATE U.S. COLLEGE POSSIBLE
Private College 529 is a simple, low-risk, prepaid tuition plan that locks in current rates to save on future tuition at nearly 300 private colleges and universities across the United States.
LOCK IN TUITION
When you prepay tuition, it’s like locking in what you’d pay right now if your kids were to start college today. You can prepay part or all of your tuition — it’s up to you. And when your kids are ready to apply to one of our member colleges years down the road, no matter how much tuition increases, our member colleges guarantee the rate you locked in.
PREPAY TODAY. SAVE FOR TOMORROW.
PREPAID SAVINGS. U.S. COLLEGE POSSIBILITIES.
Our prepaid tuition plan opens more doors by making private U.S. college possible. And with nearly 300 colleges and universities in the plan, every student has options to find the best fit.
LOW RISK. STEADY SAVINGS.
After fees, every dollar saved goes to pay for future tuition. No matter how much tuition increases over the years, or what the stock market does, your rates stay locked in at all participating schools.
5 reasons to save with Private College 529 Plan
1. LOCK IN RATES. LOW ON RISK.
Devaluation? Tuition hikes? Inflation? Market downturn? There’s less concern in our plan. By locking in current rates, you minimize the risks out there.
2. NO RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS
All qualifying Latin American citizens can enjoy the benefits of the plan by opening a U.S. Trust through US College Finance with their child as the plan beneficiary.
3. VALUE, ALWAYS GUARANTEED
When you prepay in the plan, you purchase Tuition Certificates that can be redeemed at any of our member colleges for up to 30 years (from time of purchase) — guaranteed.
4. ENOUGH ROOM TO SAVE
The lifetime contribution limit per beneficiary equals five years of tuition at the plan’s most expensive college — currently $332,450 for the 2022-2023 Plan Year.
5. FLEXIBILITY FOR “WHAT IF”
What if my kids don’t go to college? Or they go to a school outside the plan? How about a full or partial scholarship — where does that leave my funds?
Great news, our plan flexes with life’s “what ifs.”
- Request a partial refund
- Request a full refund
Since Private College 529 Plan first launched in 2003, over 14,000 accounts have been opened and families have redeemed over $166 million in prepaid tuition.
- 1986: The first prepaid college savings vehicle is established.
- 1996: United States Congress enacted Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- 2001: United States Congress passed the Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act making qualified distributions from 529 plans tax-exempt, and permitting “colleges and their consortia” to sponsor prepaid tuition plans.
- 2003: Private College 529 Plan launches under the name “Independent 529” and is recognized by BusinessWeek magazine as one of the “Best Products 2003.” By the end of the year, the Plan had 863 accounts and over $8 million in assets.
- 2006: The first Tuition Certificate was redeemed at Baylor University in Texas. By the end of the year, the Plan had 257 participating colleges, 5,000 accounts and $106 million in assets.
- 2010: The Plan name changes from Independent 529 to Private College 529 Plan.
- 2017: Private College 529 Plan grows the number of participating colleges to 290.
- 2022: Private College 529 Plan introduces CollegeWell with online resources and expert guidance on saving and paying for college.
- 2023: with a new vision of helping every family understand that private college is possible, Private College 529 Plan prepares to launch a pilot initiative for families in Latin America.
Learn more about our story and meet our leadership team >>